Friday, May 20, 2005

new favorite food

For years, I've only eaten broccoli raw. I told myself that I don't like it cooked. Well, this may still be true. The idea of eating cream of broccoli soup still turns my stomach and broccoli with cheese sounds like tom cruise and katie holmes.

just wrong.

But, I've learned to eat a couple of new things thanks to riri. I have an unhealthy way of looking down on people who don't like to eat vegetables. So when she asked if steamed brussel sprouts and broccoli sounded good, I had to say yes. I didn't want to be fussy.

I was so surprised when I realized how much I enjoyed the brussel sprouts... and almost as surprised when I realized how good steamed broccoli can be! We made the broccoli again on Tuesday night so that we would have a veg side dish with our carb happy dinner of penne, tomato, garlic and basil.

After steaming the broccoli, we put it in a bowl and ate it like an appetizer. It was delicious. We were also eating very salty olives at the time. I wonder if that is what made them so good. We didn't dress the broccoli -- not even salt. I wonder if lemon would taste good on steamed broccoli. Any thoughts?

4 Comments:

Blogger R J Keefe said...

Lemon juice is very nice on steamed broccoli, but you might cut it with a bit of water.

Fri May 20, 02:24:00 PM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

I will keep this in mind.

Fri May 20, 02:33:00 PM  
Blogger X said...

lemon pepper tastes good on everything.

Fri May 20, 05:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mommy used to serve broccoli with breadcrumbs. Basically she would melt a bunch of butter (a stick? I think?) and pour in breadcrumbs until it was all goopy and not-quite-as-dry-as-stuffing and some salt and viola - a lovely topping! Also a good way to get your recalcitrant kiddos to eat broccoli.

There may also have been some lemon juice involved, tho' I can't swear to it.

Fri May 20, 07:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home