Tuesday, May 10, 2005

bridesmaid update 1

I'll be heading home in a month (literally) for Kari's wedding. I got the dirt on the bridesmaid luncheon yesterday and it's at Cuvee. Needless to say, I have never been there and the idea of eating a lot of rich food for lunch and dinner (still haven't heard where the rehearsal dinner will be but here is a picture of the St. Charles Streetcar with the church in the background) the day before I have to squeeze into a satin gown sounds like a bad idea. Whatever, I will go walking all over City Park that afternoon, I hope, between the big meals. I'm beginning to get a little freaked out thinking about my childhood best friend getting married. It's not the first big wedding, but it's the sum of them all capped off by Mlle. Kari that takes me aback.

As her sister wove the bows and faux flowers from Kari's shower onto a paper plate (meant to be a bouquet at the rehearsal), I couldn't help but think of Kari's fifth birthday party. All of us showed up in party dresses and bonnets with our dolls for a tea party and a ride on the St. Charles Streetcar. Our moms came along as well. I'm sure there were petitfours from Swiss Confectionary and punch. Surely, someone's dress got covered in Hawaiian Punch, but hopefully all dolls were spared.

Sometimes, I wonder how far removed everyone is from just playing house.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I concur with this sentiment.
Entirely.
I hope you got some writing done today.

:)

Tue May 10, 04:13:00 PM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

Thanks. I should add that I am just as likely to fall into the category of playing house as anyone... At least I'm aware of it.

Also, I like wearing pretty dresses and flashy heels from time to time. Now we all have significant others instead of dolls. Interesting swap, no?

Tue May 10, 04:43:00 PM  
Blogger R J Keefe said...

What lovely, affectionate memories you have.

Tue May 10, 05:05:00 PM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

I had a pretty idyllic childhood, I have to say, despite all the various deaths. That sounds morbid, but it sums it up.

Tue May 10, 05:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home