Thursday, May 12, 2005

crack the spine

There's a strong part of me that wants to make iced tea and sing Laura Nyro songs to myself tonight. Summer's coming. I love this time of the year: easing into the sweltering heat of summer with a few brief weeks' relief. Me, I adore summer. I love the feel of baked in heat on my arms -- not from tanning, but just from walking around. Any mobile person doesn't need to tan. We should all enjoy being outside and take advantage of the agreeable weather.

Summer brings my birthday and the annual, conditioned kick to read even more than usual. Childhood's "summer reading" ritual stuck with me like a clinging swimsuit. The stack grows daily. A friend just lent me Nicole Krauss' "The History of Love" today. A friend of mine from Bryn Mawr is coming out to Brooklyn for dinner and conversation. Every day feels like a celebration during this time of year. And why not? This is the kind of weather that makes sundresses acceptable as uniforms.

And I'm moving into a new room in my apartment this weekend. A room with two tall windows, a ceiling fan and more space. I'm eager to open this book, crack the spine and read on.

2 Comments:

Blogger R J Keefe said...

Heaven would be the six-month prolongation of today's weather, followed by five months of autumn and one month of snow. All new snow every day, always clean and white, and then - poof! melted away.

Thu May 12, 04:06:00 PM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

I second that, but I would insist on a pleasantly sweltering week in the midst of it all! Complete with watermelon contests, picnics with roasted corn, state fairs with cotton candy and dips in chilly swimming holes.

Thu May 12, 04:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home