Sunday, July 10, 2005

sisterhood of the traveling pants

I went to see Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants with my best gf in NYC yesterday. Despite arriving from different boroughs, we were on the same 1 train. Can we say best friends or what?

Anyway, need you ask, I cried through the end of the film. Me and female friendship? We're like this. Well, lately maybe not so much. Having a bf gives you an automatic best friend to spend the weekend with, rent movies, get breakfast, walk home, etc. And a great deal of my female friends have been too busy getting married to visit. And the single lady friends are all off in foreign countries that are not accessible by JetBlue (yeah, Republic of Georgia, Niger, France, Greece... Not really available by direct flight with direct TV and blue chips).

When I learned that my boyfriend's youngest sister (who is attending Columbia in the fall) planned on moving to NYC this summer rather than spend her last summer after high school at home, I was really surprised. For me, the summer of '96 was one of the best times in my life. There was no more high school anxiety, all of us were thrilled to leave New Orleans for our new lives in new states, but we were so happy to just be together. There were endless coffee sessions, lunches, sleepovers, movies, etc.

That core set of friends are mostly married (and engaged) now with the exception of me, Minh (who moved away to Austin and I haven't seen since '96) and Sudha. Watching that movie reminded me of the sisterhood we shared. Being a bridesmaid at Kari's wedding brought us back together for a bit of time, but it's harder and harder to hear from one another much less hang out casually like we used to.

In a world that supposedly has instantaneous communication, why is it so hard to have a good conversation? Maybe it's too easy. You can always delay a phone call or an email when you know you can reach them anytime.

"Anytime" is the new "no time."

I cried a lot while watching the movie because I could see how it would end up. The two stereotypically pretty girls would go on to find their boyfriends and ditch their other girlfriends because they "wouldn't understand what it's like to be in a relationship." And the other two girls would do their own thing, find themselves and carve out a new place until being asked to be bridesmaids almost ten years later.

Ouch. That hurts, but it's somewhat true.

Watching that movie reminded me of the history and good times I shared with my high school (and oftentimes preschool) friends, but also made me grateful for the friends I made in college. Especially the one with whom I saw the movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home