Friday, July 01, 2005

Remeber that I told you

In 2000, I was a harpie. I yelled at every person I knew who wanted to vote for Nader, believed Gore and Bush were the same person, thought Gore was a bore and felt Bush wasn't that conservative.

Why was it so important for everyone to vote for Gore?

The Supreme Court.

And after Bush stole the election, he showed his true colors. Colors I knew were there all along because apples don't fall too far from the tree. I knew families like the Bushes in New Orleans. Sneaky, reactionary people. If these nothing New Orleanians could act this way, why wouldn't this political family from Houston?

And so here we are in 2005, Rehnquist is about to drop dead and Sandra Day O'Connor has just announced that she is going to retire.

Buy your birth control now, kids, because it's all over. Roe v. Wade will be overturned before the end of Bush's term and then they're going to go after birth control. And that's just the first thing that comes to mind because I am a woman. Who knows what else will happen. 2084? Try 2014.

2 Comments:

Blogger R J Keefe said...

It's said that Web surfers don't "click through," don't "continue reading." American voters seem incapable of "thinking through" to the consequences of voting for a candidate who will have the power to appoint Supreme Court Justices.

At the same time, I wouldn't expect a very conservative court to ban abortion or birth control. It would probably stop at striking down Roe v. Wade, leaving it up to the States to decide. This would be too bad for women in many states - a disaster. But not the catastrophe of a blanket ban.

Fri Jul 01, 10:49:00 AM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

Well, it's amazing what these people do when they put their mind to it. There's already a movement to say it's against one's religion to even prescribe birth control and health care is beginning to stop covering birth control. So it may not happen in the courts, but what the courts rule on Roe v. Wade will come out through things like the Walgreens pharmicist giving me a hard time when I bring in my prescription. Also, my doctor gave me the runaround last summer when I wanted a refill. It's this kind of barrier that would keep someone younger and less educated from keeping herself protected.

Fri Jul 01, 11:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home