Thursday, June 30, 2005

Woody Allen life

after watching "hannah and her sisters" at MoMA this evening with joe and helene, joe turns to me and helene and says, "THAT was my very first Woody Allen movie!"

I couldn't believe it. I also couldn't believe he didn't tell us so that we could relish in the joie together. We immediately insisted that we set up dinner and a movie nights so that he can see "Manhattan" and "Annie Hall" at least.

For years I thought of Woody Allen's NYC as THE New York. No Frank Sinatra, no Melanie Griffith a la "Working Girl," no musicals. Just Woody Allen.

So it was incredible to see something iconic like the Winter Garden theater (as Lee --- Barbara Hershey rides home in a cab after Thanksgiving dinner) and know exactly where she was. And have rode a cab in that exact place.

For the past 10 months or so I've been feeling that living in NYC is not unlike living in Paris as a study abroad student, but now that I have a secure job and I can place myself in a Woody Allen film, I think it's safe to say I've moved beyond the interloper stage.

2 Comments:

Blogger R J Keefe said...

You're HERE and that's all there is to it. You've been Martha-hot-gun-glued to Greater Manhattan.

Thu Jun 30, 02:08:00 PM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

I know I keep talking about it, but it's just too striking for me to not step back and relish in this experience.

Women are always made to underplay their achievements, but I refuse to ever do that again.

Thu Jun 30, 02:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home