Tuesday, June 28, 2005

show and tell

I stuck around work until 6 today because I wanted to do so. I didn't stick around til 6 because I had to and was counting the very seconds before I could leave the building (um, i've never done that!). I'd gotten there at nine, but after a satisfying day, I thought I'd finish off a few more things, and hey why not when you're enjoying yourself?

After I finally left, I crossed the street to go to the bank and was about to check my voicemail when I literally ran into Diane. She works on 6th near MoMA so I suppose she's in the neighborhood, but I never think of Manhattan as the kind of place where you just run into people. That would be Bryn Mawr, village of all colleges, not Manhattan.

After we hugged and talked about making plans for the weekend, she asked how work was going. I flung out my arm to the building behind her and said, "There it is!"

I love work. To anyone who thinks it's better to suffer with the evil you know, you are kidding yourself. Spend the time finding what you love to do and do all you can to make that happen.

Otherwise, you're still at work til at least 6 and -- trust me -- it feels longer when you hate it.

In other news, I'm going to see "Hannah and her Sisters" tomorrow night at MoMA with RiRi and Joe. And Thursday night I'm going to Town Hall to see the Eels with the fabulous Graham (yes, Laura, my Graham, not yours!) from Dartmouth. Good times.

Now back to "Garlic and Sapphires": Ruth Reichl while lounging around in M. Doodle's frosty apartment.

1 Comments:

Blogger R J Keefe said...

The secret is in the "doing all you can." I have never seen anyone do anywhere near as much as you did, not so much to find the right job as to let the right job find you.

Most people would have given up sooner. They'd have been advised to give up sooner.

Wed Jun 29, 10:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home