Thursday, May 26, 2005

anxiety? we haven't met.

yesterday i wondered how i would make it to "early next week" without biting down all my fingernails, breaking out, losing hair, etc.

But today, everything is really mellow. I don't know how I escaped this nasty beast. I had a great dinner last night with T, RJ and K. We talked, laughed and just enjoyed being together. I wrote my thank you note and dropped it in the mail on the way home. Miraculously, T and I caught a M86 as soon as we made it to the busstop and within a couple minutes of getting off at 86th and Broadway, the M104 lumbered up to the curb! YAY: no $13 cab ride! So we made it home in good time and crashed. I got a solid 8 hrs of sleep and mosied my way way down Broadway this morning. I picked up a banana and croissant for breakfast and got a bunch of radishes at the Farmer's Market on Broadway. I stopped in Oren's for an iced coffee and hopped on the 1/9 at 110th.

Work is really low key today. I polished off a story that should have been easy, but you know fashion writers... Anyway, I made them look good. That's all that matters. I've been looking up train times for tomorrow's big trip back to the Mawr. I also mentally packed my bag and made dinner. It'll be a no-brainer tonight and I can polish off my book of Wendy Wasserstein plays before meeting D and RiRi in Penn Station tomorrow morning.

I've been listening to the mix cd Lexie made me two years ago. She included "Walk Through the Fire": Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I loved the musical episode in season 6. It's the best. I don't care what anyone says. You know, it's odd. I have no envie whatsoever to catch a musical on Broadway no matter how great everyone says it is ("Wicked"). And I have nothing to do with Fred Astaire (sorry, RJ...). But I love the Buffy musical episode and I loved Woody Allen's "Everyone Says I Love You." I think I like the spirit of amateur musicals. The rough around the edges aspect to it. I find super-polished voices grating when I am watching a musical. It's already unreal that people are singing in a movie, so why make it even less real? There's something endearing about watching people who wouldn't otherwise sing, break into song. That's what made that Buffy episode so fantastic: the plot centered around tapping into your deepest feelings and being incapable of suppressing the urge to break into song. So much so that you were in danger of breaking your heart. Please don't even try to convince me that instances like this occur in Spamalot.

So these things (and books) have been distracting me today. Thankfully, they're reminding me that life is bigger than one job. My friend LEL took off today with her husband for three solid months in Brazil. Life is meant to be lived, not spent waiting for something to happen. I just have to fill in the space between now and "early next week" and brace myself with happiness for whatever comes to pass.

I wrote the thank you note. I've done all I can. I mean, sending a fruit basket is a bit much.

2 Comments:

Blogger BK said...

Let it burn, baby. As much as you may think otherwise at times, you are ready for the world outside. We all play our part, but you really don't need backup. You will be sure to put many under your spell this weekend.

haha enjoy

But I have to tell you that if Chenoweth/Menzel tag-teamed against Buffy, it might be a tough call who would win.

Fri May 27, 01:10:00 PM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

Buffy everytime. I'm sure of it!

And "early next week" came sooner than I thought... see above.

Mon May 30, 06:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home