Friday, April 01, 2005

Hors d'Oeuvres

My sister was going to a dance with this guy. She made a detailed list of possible topics of conversation. The night before he called her and they spoke for a long time. When she got off the phone, she was furious and looked like she was about to cry. I asked her what was wrong since she seemed so happy on the phone. She yelled, "He used up all the topics! Now what am I going to talk about tomorrow?"

I think conversations are best left unrehearsed. If I am going to give a speech, I don't like to prepare it. If I have a speech, then I get fussy about sticking to it. No speech. No commitments. Maybe this is why I don't like to have a planner.

I sometimes feel like a comedian though or maybe like a living issue of Time Out New York. Their tagline is "the obsessive guide to impulsive entertainment." I don't like to rehearse my dinner party conversations, but I guess I like to have a couple of opening lines or suggestions. Maybe its genetic.

2 Comments:

Blogger lequincampe said...

But you need a planner in case you double-book things!!

Fri Apr 01, 05:16:00 PM  
Blogger R J Keefe said...

Rehearsal is not necessary if you stick to truly substantial and well-written general-interest magazines, such as The New Yorker, Harper's, and The Atlantic. And, odd as it sounds, The Economist. This very expensive "newspaper" is studded with important and interesting items that have the oddest way of paying off at dinner tables.

(Your welcome to my old issues, if Wisconsin Del will share.)

Fri Apr 01, 05:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home