Thursday, March 24, 2005

South Africa

A friend of mine mailed me her copies of J.M. Coetzee's "Disgrace" and "Elizabeth Costello" a month or two back. I had never been interested in his work since having to listen to a friend in college moan about how she "waited for the barbarians and they never came." But years later, pressed by another friend, I thought I would give Coetzee a chance.

I was immediately taken with his storytelling and his economical use of words. The experience of contemporary South Africa is present in the conflict of the novel. Usually I find this kind of work to be a bit heavy handed, but this was exceptional.

Now I'm suddenly taken with South Africa and would really like to learn more. There's a movie called "In My Country" which is based on a book that the same friend sent to me a year ago. Guess I should have read that one first... Or not.

Has anyone been to South Africa?

2 Comments:

Blogger R J Keefe said...

Congratulations! You have written your fourth of fifth entry and put it in first place. Quick: write something a little more about you, you, you.

All I can say is, tu es la bienvenue! Or is it, bienvenue à toi! It's both!

Thu Mar 24, 10:50:00 PM  
Blogger BK said...

I recommend a South African restaurant on DeKalb Avenue, I-Shebeen. Everything is so flavorful, especially the fish. I also loved the decor. Just stay away from the pickled mango.

Fri Mar 25, 05:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home