Friday, April 01, 2005

April Fools

When I was back at Bryn Mawr, on April Fool's the newspapers would run with headlines like: "Bryn Mawr to turn co-ed!" or "Trustees approve the purchase of more vowels for the school name." It cracked me up. Ridiculously impossible things are hilarious. NXP, my Philly housemate & friend told her mother she was going back to Iraq to cover the war again, but this time they were letting her bring her cat along. While I laughed hysterically at NXP's retelling, I couldn't blame her mother for almost having a heart attack. I believe most anything anyone I generally trust says to me.

I am one of the most gullible people I know. This isn't because I'm naive. I just like stories. Unlike a reporter, who looks for clues or loop holes, I enjoy listening and getting caught up in a narrative or just a good, juicy yarn. Maybe this is why I would make a bad journalist and a better editor. I like bringing the good stuff to the forefront and cutting out the excess. I'm less preoccupied by it being correct. I guess I would be a good PR scout for the current administration, no? Good thing I don't swing that way.

4 Comments:

Blogger lequincampe said...

I would like to add that these opinions in no way effect my integrity as a free-lance fact-checker! That's just my job, not my passion. Generally, I'm checking things that I'm not interested in anyway so I can forgo my need for a good hook.

Fri Apr 01, 11:00:00 AM  
Blogger BK said...

Checking things you are not interested in? I don't think thats true.

Fri Apr 01, 12:01:00 PM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

well, camilla parker-bowles and st. moritz? pas pour moi.

i wouldn't object to wallpaper, though.

Fri Apr 01, 05:11:00 PM  
Blogger R J Keefe said...

Numa Numa the Wonder Owl adds: "Numa Numa, an unduly self-absorbed Wonder Owl, meant to address Ms NOLA." Also Numa Numa does not do its own typing.

Fri Apr 01, 05:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home