Wednesday, March 30, 2005

The Ride

One of my favorite scenes is from the 1996 movie Twister with Helen Hunt. A troupe of stormweather enthusiasts pursue tornadoes across a plain in Oklahoma. The hunt (no pun intended) is on. Cars race to the point where a tornado is about to touch down. In each car, drivers blast their favorite music pushing the scene to climax. Whether heavy metal or classical, I love the excitement of the chase.

I never listened to music growing up. My family mostly listened to sports talk radio and traffic reports. The first usually gave me a headache and the static of the second has probably had long-term effects on my mental functioning. Perhaps it is for these reasons that I am drawn to high energy music now. I love songs with a strong bass. I like electronica. I like dance music. In the morning, I drink coffee and then stand still in a packed car for 40 minutes. This is probably not the best idea as my head feels like it is about to explode from caffeine by the time I get to my destination. Usually I end up racing out of the turnstiles, eager to be moving. It is here though that the Twister scene will come to me. What music should I choose to blast? Vivaldi Four Seasons or Scissor Sisters? Pump up the Jam or Mozart's Requiem? Glory Glory Hallelujah?

I think I need some new music.

2 Comments:

Blogger R J Keefe said...

You need Wagner.

Your right about Twister - the music is great. The soundtrack is great, and does most of the heavy lifting. I'm crazy about the drive-in scene, with its arch quotation of The Shining.

Thu Mar 31, 12:19:00 PM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

Should we create a literal "house" mix? Visit DJ NOLA's itunes soon.

Thu Mar 31, 04:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home