Friday, April 01, 2005

Alice didn't know

A few years ago I was hired on the spot at an evening interview. I left the office and ran across the street to call my parents from a payphone at a garage. There was no streetlight. My future was bright. I work elsewhere now. I avoid that part of the city. Even if someone does not believe in ghosts, its easy to feel like a place is haunted. The other night I had to return to the area. I passed the garage and remembered. The phone was there and it was off the hook. The handle hung still below. I had the urge to rip the chord out of the socket. I wanted to yell into the phone so that my past self could hear me and heed the advice. Instead, I hung it up. That call, that place, that job needs to be over. I have a cellphone now.

1 Comments:

Blogger lequincampe said...

oh, if only there was an emergency phone to ward off bad relationships, toxic friendships and general wrong turns in life.

then again, the phone would probably ring off the hook and we'd unplug it. or just start ignoring it.

the fact that we can't go back and warn ourselves means we can only focus on the future: a not altogether satisfying alternative.

Fri Apr 01, 05:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home