Monday, April 11, 2005

Bryn Mawr Now: bitter alum edition

If you're in the Philadelphia area, you should seriously consider going to Bryn Mawr on Thursday afternoon to hear Judith Butler speak about the Abu Ghraib photographs. I would love to see Judith Butler speak in Thomas Great Hall where I saw Marilyn Hacker, Maxine Hong Kingston, August Wilson, Sharon Olds, Rick Moody, Katha Pollitt and Mary Gordon speak. Turns out this is funded by this new Graduate Group endowment in which the college is participating. Looks like a great thing for the school... again, of course, after I leave...

However, there was evidently a bomb scare on campus as of late... Which was posted on Philly's answer to Gothamist. This then makes me laugh to see that Philadelphia is not a part of the "ist" chain of webblogs. Ah, Philly, always a bridesmaid, never a bride...

5 Comments:

Blogger R J Keefe said...

Is not the advice to "go back to your dorms and stay there" totally idiotic under such circumstances? So idiotic, in fact, that the "bomb scare" sounds like a pretext for something else.

Mon Apr 11, 11:52:00 PM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

Ah, Public Safety at Bryn Mawr. They knew just what to do to keep us safe!

I may have to write an entry about "dangerous practices" like chasing after buses when the road is iced over.

Tue Apr 12, 12:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh. Public safety. MEF had some line about "Campus in turmoil; public safety sits on ass and contemplates navel" when that whole crank-call thing was going on.

Oh, and fuck Philebrity for the use of the four-year-queer moniker. Seriously - fuck fuck fuck fuck 'em.

Fri Apr 15, 12:04:00 AM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

I remember the incessant crank calling. I didn't bother with Public Safety; I started blowing my "rape whistle" into the phone as soon as I realized who it was. Justice through deafness.

Fri Apr 15, 09:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWESOME. Man, the things I missed the semester I was in Russia ...

Mon Apr 18, 01:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home