Friday, April 08, 2005

The Scholar and the Feminist

In the pursuit of lifelong learning, I'm going to this conference tomorrow at Barnard.

At any rate, I'm thrilled to see the poet Meena Alexander again and Dorothy Allison! For those of you who have not read "Bastard out of Caroline," shame on you. It was one of the most influential books I read prior to college. Completely eye-opening. You must read it.

Also, Tammy Rae Carland, formerly from Mr. Lady Records, is speaking as well.

I can't believe Mr. Lady is no more. I can't believe Sleater-Kinney left Kill Rock Star Records for Sub Pop. I can't believe Death Cab for Cutie signed to Atlantic Records.

Whatever happened to Indie Rock? When I was 15, I thought Indie Rock would change the world. I guess everyone grew up and sold out and now I listen to Kelly Clarkson singles. The world is going to hell in a handbasket. Hopefully, I will meet lots of cool people tomorrow and we will organize.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sub pop is an indie.
death cab for cutie are the o.c. house band.
but mr. lady, that is truly sad.

Fri Apr 08, 11:29:00 PM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

I know Sub Pop is an Indie, but it's not the same as Kill Rock Stars... Sub Pop is somewhat sub par...

And Death Cab. That's so tragic... I've been listening to them since 2000...

Anyway, the conference was great! I will write more later.

Sun Apr 10, 09:06:00 AM  
Blogger X said...

Ahem. I think you still need to share about the "cool people" you met.

Thu Apr 14, 06:57:00 PM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

Ack --- I've gotten so caught up in this whole JSF debate that I've been distracted from writing about people who I feel really do contribute with grace to the world through their words (and actions).

Thank you, Carly, for reminding me. I will do that soon. Also, I need to dig up my copy of "Bastard out of Carolina" when I go back to NOLA at the end of the month.

Fri Apr 15, 11:04:00 AM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Fri Apr 15, 11:04:00 AM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

Ladypink, Did you see Meghan Daum's article on being a zookeeper for a week in "Travel + Leisure?" It was great! I hope you are doing alright. You're in my thoughts and I'm glad A told you I was thinking about you. I don't know if you'll be on a computer anytime in the near future, but let me know how you're doing.

Mon Apr 18, 12:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home