Monday, July 30, 2007

ode to tartine (SF not West Village)





For those of you who have not been blessed with a wonderful friend who lives in the Mission District of San Francisco, well, I guess luck does not smile upon you. I have been meaning to write for some time about the sublime place where I spent every morning but one (when I had breakfast on Valencia Street with SW and her dear fiance) during my stay in San Francisco this past June. My darling Rachel does not drink coffee and consequently does not have a coffee maker or beans in her apartment. Thus it fell upon me to find a place where I could get my morning fix and sit down with my journal and the New York Times. Many a friend had spoke with awe about a certain pastry shop in the Mission District, but I didn't realize that I would be fortunate to stay two short blocks away from said haven.

While there, I sampled many a fruit studded bread pudding, varied veggie quiches, ham and gruyere croissants, morning buns, and frangipane croissants. Oh and wonderful coffee and conversation at the communal tables. I met men of finance who were trying to sort out what to do with their millions (buy in Noe Valley? Start a coffee shop?), mothers who trusted me to watch their newborns as they went back to their cars and who also happened to have lived in the same building that T now resides while they were in their New York phase, yarn store owners, and more.

San Francisco, I miss your cool mornings. I miss wearing my scarf and sweaters on my way to hot, hot coffee and treats. I miss getting up and hugging Rachel goodbye before she went off to work. I miss walking around town and riding the bus and MUNI rail listening to Feist's "The Reminder." Rachel, can I come back soon?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ANY TIME. You name the dates, I'll ... well, I'll probably have some ridiculous last-minute filing. But come anyway!

And it's only a block away - not two. Not that it really changes things :)

Wed Aug 01, 12:45:00 AM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

MAN! I have to change the entry. I guess one block seems like two when you can't get there fast enough!!

I am so taking you up on another visit. And when can I host you in NYC?

Wed Aug 01, 01:03:00 AM  
Blogger clindsay said...

I think you just managed to make me homesick for San Francisco for the first time in eight years.

Tartine!

Wed Aug 01, 09:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home