Sunday, September 24, 2006

thinking about home

In preparation for my parents's upcoming visit, I decided to scrub the floors of my apartment. The smell of peppermint clean floors is something particularly satisfying. The weather is changing and it's time to adopt better habits, like scrubbing the kitchen floor more frequently than upon the occasion of a parental visit. I need to remember that a little elbow grease goes a long way.

Now that's done, I'm about to head out to the Metropolitan to quickly run through the museum with my friend Rachel from NOLA. Earlier today, I had brunch with Gifford (as you know, another New Orleanian). While finishing up the floors, I chatted on the phone with Alison from NOLA who now lives in Chelsea. It's amazing how my worlds are merging. So many friends from home, here in my new home.

My parents are visiting for a week, then I'll head home to New Orleans near the end of October for a longish weekend there. I have my 10 year high school reunion to attend, but also, I have to visit with family, drink iced coffee with LEL among others. I need to take more pictures, write more, and experience New Orleans as much as I can before it's no longer our family home. It's shocking to say that. I have really accepted the fact that my parents are moving and I'm excited for them, and excited to explore another part of the United States.

Yet it's possible for home to exist in many places. Brooklyn, New Orleans, Paris, Manhattan, North Carolina. Essentially, wherever I am with the people I love, I'm home. Wherever I care enough to mop the floors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home