Tuesday, July 26, 2005

I never promised you a rose garden: jane to leave jane

Jane Pratt is stepping down from Jane magazine on September 30, 2005. "Whatever," I say. Jane magazine never was Sassy magazine -- Pratt's feminist contribution to the maintenance of female sanity between from 1988 to 1994. But let's put it this way: my snotty self actually read Jane from time to time (and not just because I could get it for free at work... I had a lot of free periodicals) as opposed to magazines that I don't even so much as register as anything more than fodder for provocative pre-school collages.

I still have all my copies of Sassy magazine and I will probably always keep them. I really wanted to meet Sassy editor (and current editor of Elle Girl) Christina Kelly during my time at Elle magazine, but I didn't want to lose the image I created at age 14 of a sarcastic, smart woman who didn't have to apologize for speaking her mind. I'm sure she's lovely, but I think the image is all I'll ever need.

I saw Jane Pratt once at work and I also wanted to go up to her and thank her for Sassy, but I didn't want to be another freaky twentysomething gushing at her feet.

Besides, isn't it more important to think of what Sassy encouraged rather than worship at the feet of the former editors? I wonder what Pratt will go on to do... Aside from having twins.

Who else read Sassy? Share your memories.

6 Comments:

Blogger Slimbolala said...

Watch out. If Gawker finds out they'll send they're Gawker Goons over to smash your computer. It's all fun and cheekiness until somebody steals their copy.

And I'm sorry to say I never read Sassy.

Tue Jul 26, 01:11:00 PM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

Slimbolala, are you joking? I will just have to change it to another Whitney Houston classic. Also, they ripped it off ed2010.com so it's not their copy entirely....

Tue Jul 26, 01:41:00 PM  
Blogger Slimbolala said...

Yes, I'm joking. I just like the idea of big, sarcastic Gawker Goons. Forgive me.

Tue Jul 26, 03:21:00 PM  
Blogger Slimbolala said...

Oops. Now I see that you really did change the post title. Apologies if I actually caused any consternation. I should preface my lame jokes with big "OBTUSE HUMOR ALERT!" warnings.

Again, forgive me.

Tue Jul 26, 03:32:00 PM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

No worries. I am the most gullible person ever. And I think it's funnier still that I am scared of what gawker could do!?

Tue Jul 26, 04:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jane Pratt left her magazine because she was devastated at losing the twin girls she was expecting.

Fri Mar 31, 11:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home