Saturday, March 10, 2007

JFK to SFO

June 2-10: I'll be in San Francisco.

It's my very first trip to San Francisco, my first trip to Northern California. I'll be staying with the lovely Rachel and I'm so very excited for lots of quality time with her in her new city. Well, not so new anymore, but you get the picture...

I'll get to see this show at Doe and I'm excited to see Lisa and Stephanie's work in person after admiring it from afar via these imperfect computers. Being me, I want to go to the DeYoung and SFMoMA, but I also want to ride the cable car, see the Golden Gate Bridge, go to the Ghirardelli Chocolate Factory, eat seafood and avocados, City Lights (!), and Lombard Street.

I can't say how much this is lifting my spirits. Please send recommendations for SF things to do and books and movies relating to SF that I can read before going (I've seen VERTIGO and SNEAKERS, but please tell me more).

Brooklyn had actual sunshine and Springtime weather today. I opened all my windows and bought daffodils with Gifford today. Sometimes I wonder how I can cope with work and commuting and the imperfection of every little thing and then the world opens up with possibility again. I'm never going to stop reliving and revisiting the past, but I'm never going to come to terms with that or fully understand it for what it is unless I keep moving and learning.

San Francisco, here I come. Your very own Judy Maxwell.

2 Comments:

Blogger lequincampe said...

Thank you for the recs! Forgetting about TALES OF THE CITY is probably somehow criminal on my part. I have read VALENCIA and also wasn't wild about it. I have a thing against books in which main characters share a name with the author...

Mon Mar 12, 12:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't like Valencia on paper, but I loved hearing Michelle Tea read from it. I think part of it is her enthusiasm, which doesn't translate to the written word.

I suppose you could think about watching back episodes of Full House ... :P

Yeah, watch Sneakers. That's one of my top two favorite movies. If you don't get to see it before you come out here, we can watch it once you get here. Although that may not be nearly as much fun!

Tue Mar 13, 01:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home