Sunday, January 07, 2007

resolutions

I've been back in Brooklyn for a week and so far, so good. I have been cooking up a storm. I made a massive pot of veggie chili last weekend and I made a big batch of baby lima bean soup (thanks to the Camelia Beans from NOLA) so there's plenty food in the freezer. One of my new year's resolutions is to make sure there is always a meal in the freezer, ready for me to reheat and eat. That way I don't have to resort to take out when I get home late, cranky, tired and hungry. I also never really did much in the way of keeping a pantry, but with a new roommate and a fresh start, I'm going to work on this. I'd like to be sure I have more than dried beans, water, and wine to offer friends when they come over to visit.

Another new year's resolution is to try to make my own coffee. I had the grinder and my brother had given me a Melitta one-cup coffee filter (goodbye clunky coffee maker!!) so I got some beans from Gorilla Coffee on New Year's Day and now I'm good to go. I'm enjoying the process of making coffee; smelling the brewing process, taking pleasure in making it for myself and taking the time to do so. I have my PJ's coffee travel mug for traveling on the MTA.

I need to finally sign up for a yoga class at work. And I need to try to stretch and exercise a smidge at home. That's why I have dvds: so that I can exercise and watch them as I do sit ups and leg lifts. I would like to start running at some point in the next two years and I need to get limber. My problem with running has always been that I either get a stitch in my stomach or some kind of cramp in my shoulder. Not only would stretching more be beneficial to my running career, but it would also work out the stress I keep in particular parts of my body.

I'm also going to try to read more books than I did last year. I try to beat myself every year at this. Last year I read 66, just scraping by 2005's 65 books. I had hoped to read 75 at least, but that didn't happen. Maybe if I didn't read the NYT, nola.com, the New Yorker or the New York Review of Books... and blogs. And I'm not giving up knitting. Also, I've been trying to write more in my notebook on the way home, rather than just read. Either way, I would like to try to read something by Faulkner this year, reread all of Alice Munro and discover new favorites. Also, it may be time to reread Middlemarch. We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home