Wednesday, May 03, 2006

For Rachel Brill





Here are some shots for Rachel of Ani DiFranco in concert at Jazz Fest. I was thinking of Rachel throughout the peformance. Ani opened with "Shy" and also sang "Little Plastic Castles" and "Shameless." Mostly she sang songs that were entirely new to me. She was really excited to be performing at Jazz Fest and kept professing her love for NOLA. She has a place here and entered her thirties in New Orleans (I saw her perform on the eve of her 30th birthday at the Saenger Theater w/ another Rachel! Rachel Swan, whom Rachel Brill also knows).

More Jazz Fest updates and NOLA updates to come. I'm back in Brooklyn and the fatigue has truly set in. I brought all my baggage with me back to Brooklyn tonight after logging in a 9 hour day at work (rough after being away for a week!) and this nice young man with a paperback copy of "The DaVinci Code" in his backpocket carried my rolling suitcase for me up from the subway platform and up another flight of stairs to Flatbush Avenue. I was almost tempted to ask him to carry it all the way up to my fourth floor apartment if he was feeling rather chivalric, but I figured that would give the wrong impression. I thanked him profusely and huffed and puffed my way up the staircase to my room. Now the suitcase has exploded and I don't have the energy to parse through the clothes. One galosh (singular for galoshes?) stands with brave stripes outside the suitcase... another is buried within it. If only the nice young man had carried the suitcase upstairs. I would have had the energy to unpack. Oh well.

Now to finish Kate Christensen's "In the Drink" and then to bed.

6 Comments:

Blogger R J Keefe said...

It's great to have you back.

To hear you say, "this nice young man." Girl, you're not even thirty.

Thu May 04, 12:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE! You are so good to me, Lauren!!! Sigh, Ani.

I ran into a friend-ish-type last night who was also in NOLA for jazz fest this year. She said Bush showed up at some Habitat site, which I guess means at least there's some Habitat action going on. I think we should start scheduling our trip!

Thu May 04, 12:52:00 PM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

Bush was there for a photo-op as you can imagine... I am waiting for final plans on reconstruction before a habitat trip. They are saying that we can rebuild in our neighborhood (which got 10 ft + on the street) if we just raise the house 3 ft... Well, the house was already raised 2.5 ft off the ground and we still had over 6 ft in the house itself... I just want to be sure the plan is intact.

But yay for Rachel love! And someone has a birthday tomorrow!

Thu May 04, 01:11:00 PM  
Blogger Slimbolala said...

They recently finished a house that I bike past everyday and I know they've got some projects scheduled in the coming months.

Thu May 04, 01:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, thanks for the update, Slim. Did you and Lauren get to meet on this trip?

Tomorrow may be my birthday, but today is my mama's! So it's a good week all around for the Brill ladies.

Thu May 04, 03:25:00 PM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

Happy birthday to your wonderful mom! Send her my love! And Slimbo and I didn't get to meet up. With one car, I'm largely restricted to the FQ and wherever Sudha takes me.

Thu May 04, 04:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home