Monday, April 24, 2006

crow po'boy?

so i'm eating crow b/c I'm going home to nola for jazz fest. that's right, serve it up dressed on french bread w/ no mayo thank you very much. I am indeed going to jazz fest. friday and sunday, kids. I'll be dancing with lots of sunscreen, a dartmouth baseball cap (thinking of my sweetheart that i'm leaving in manhattan for the week) and my favorite medical school women.

and for those curious, yes, i'll see my house and, no, we're not rebuilding. where do people get this idea? the house is all but gutted, but no one is living in that house again and we sure as hell are never living on that land again. my parents are staying in the quarter until they figure out what they can do with the house and the land. i don't even consider them or anyone else i know at the starting point in this post-katrina life. we're all just trying to find out what happens next and that sure as hell isn't going to be made known anytime soon. and this isn't because of a lack of community interest. we're at the mercy of our sweet federal government and a little bitch i like to call FEMA. people don't even know how high they have to raise their homes in order to meet with standards -- because there aren't any standards! aside from those un-rebuilt levees. doesn't do much to build confidence. oh and there's peace in iraq. ha ha.

personally, i've been doing great. work couldn't be better, nyc in the spring is lovely and books, coffee and joy are endless. we're all surviving. gifford moved into her new place and it looks amazing. su and alison are moving to nyc this summer. kari and jarred are moving to baton rouge as jarred is beginning law school at lsu. marc is going to cairo again this summer for work on his doctorate. good things. i'm proud of everyone and it keeps me going despite the total inertia of life in nola. i'm going home to see for myself how everyone is doing. i'm going home to celebrate my life and my family. we are nowhere near the starting point, but we sure know how to make the best of what we've got.

6 Comments:

Blogger Slimbolala said...

Crow is delicious with just a dash of Crystal (I find Tabasco a little too vinegary when combined with crow's already sharp flavor).

Tue Apr 25, 02:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AHHHHHH so jealous of the jazz fest trip! I demand full details upon return.

Wed Apr 26, 01:02:00 PM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

of course, baby girl. we wish you were here and have been talking all kinds of nice things about you!

Thu Apr 27, 09:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is THAT why my ears were all red yesterday! :) kidding.

Send my love to your sweet parents. I think I'd take the mosquitoes if I could see Jazz Fest and hang out with y'all, and you know I hate mosquitoes.

Fri Apr 28, 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

No mosquitos at the Jazz Fest. I took pictures of Ani for you! She opened with "Shy" and sang "Shameless" and "Plastic Little Castles" but otherwise sang a lot of new song w/ which I wasn't familiar. I chatted a lot with Alison during the concert. I hung out with Su for the rest of the day and Bob Dylan was amazing as was Keb Mo and the spinach salad topped w/ fried oysters that I had for lunch. More on all this soon. It's been a long time since I felt about 15 again. It was so nice to be back at the fest with my high school girlfriends... Older, wiser, happier.

Sat Apr 29, 12:33:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has been too long since I last saw Ani live, really too long! Can't wait to see pics :)

Mon May 01, 12:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home