Thursday, April 27, 2006

postcards from nola

I saw BOB DYLAN on the street! He was wearing a black knit cap.
*
There's jasmine and gardenias in the air. I plucked a gardenia off a tree by the Circle Bar as two old man sat and watched the world pass by at Lee Circle. I stuck the flower behind my ear as Robert E Lee looked out on all of us from his pedestal. The grizzled men read their novels and mumbled tall tales. Mom and I saw a photograph of them in the Ogden Museum. Everyone's a legend in New Orleans
*
Sudha is a now a doctor. I'm full of stories. Running into old schoolteachers, knitting with brilliant women who tell me about their wild quilts, taking the bus uptown with my mom and getting my iced coffee fix.
*
Life is just a bit easier in NOLA. The knots in my back are melting away with just another cup of coffee and another glass of wine. The humidity isn't even that bad. We're all doing alright, getting by. Getting by is that much harder and sweeter all at the same time in NOLA. Come see how we're doing. We sure miss you here (but the city is a bit nicer without all the tourists... no judgment, but that's just the way it is and i wouldn't tell you any lies while there's a crescent moon in the sky)

3 Comments:

Blogger Slimbolala said...

I'm glad you're getting a spot of nice weather for your trip. It had been nasty, but is suddenly quite beautiful.

Fri Apr 28, 02:43:00 PM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

Thanks! Will you be at the Fest on Sunday?

Sat Apr 29, 12:29:00 AM  
Blogger chewiesmom said...

My dear, I've been reading your blog and think that if you are not already writing a book, you should be. :)

Thinking of you more than I write to you,
-LSM

Sun Apr 30, 04:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home