Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Are you sure this isn't a bad dream?

So evidently the PJ's Coffee Shop near my house (at Robert E. Lee and Paris) is underwater. And by underwater I mean submerged.

That's, oh, four, five blocks away from my house.

Holy shit.

Well, as my brother and Lauren Lastrapes like to point out: just because one block is underwater does not mean every block in the surrounding neighborhood is underwater. I mean, this is a city where the rich people live a block away from their "help" -- it's not entirely as if New Orleans has completely segregated neighborhoods... Except for when they do.

Shit.

Oh well. So everything but the scant amount of things I have in NYC are demolished. I have the love of my family and my friends. I cannot worry about material things at a time like this.

Except for that whole "now my parents are homeless" side of things.

Shit.

Well, we'll find out when the water drains in a couple weeks.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, fuck.

I kept seeing signs for Humanity Ave, with the water all the way up to the street sign. Where even is that? Also - where the hell do your folks live, anyway? I had this impression that it was near the lake? Did I make that up?

Big Jed is flying to Houston when he can, renting a car to check out the damage. Eeeek.

Tue Aug 30, 01:10:00 AM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

it's heart breaking. rebecca and kim are coming to have lunch with me today and helene is coming to brooklyn to hang out and help me pack for DC. ordinarily this would not be a problem, but i have very little energy to want to do more than menial tasks at work and listen to wwltv.com

we live near the lake which tells you everything you need to know. yeah, my parents are probably homeless.

much love.

Tue Aug 30, 11:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am now hearing that a flood wall broke - is that right?

Blaney's right, gut-wrenching is definitely the word. I don't even know what to say.

Tue Aug 30, 12:27:00 PM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

Yeah, the levees and the 17th street canal.

But I talked to my mom and dad. They are safe in Abbeville.

Tue Aug 30, 04:34:00 PM  
Blogger Slimbolala said...

I saw that photo. That's the coffee shop where I would go everyday at lunch to draw. A fucking lake.

Sun Sep 04, 01:43:00 AM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

Yup. The site of so many happy memories? Now an extension of the Gulf of Mexico. I think I beat everyone's sucky bad days for the next year. Ho hum. I think I need to eat ice cream for dinner.

Mon Sep 05, 07:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home