Monday, March 12, 2007

LA2: Pasadena Art


Went to Art Market yesterday in Pasadena. Local schools [Pasadena City College, Art Center College of Design, and The Armory] invited students, faculty, and alumni to show their works. As compared to a NY show (especially students'), the art was thematically sunny in disposition. Since it was 97 degrees in March though, I suppose that's what happens.

After the market, we went to the Pasadena Museum of History, and saw an exhibition of works by Sam Hyde Harris. When I first saw the paintings (one pictured here), I thought my eyes hadn't adjusted yet from being out in the sun. The colors looked so dull. I wanted to adjust the brightness on my internal tv. As I looked through the gallery though, I began to appreciate the soft hues and natural themes. They reminded me of works by New England coastal painters. Made me a little homesick, to be honest.

2 Comments:

Blogger lequincampe said...

These are rather muted colors and not exactly what I think of when thoughts ramble on LA. Maybe it was just the era... Hmm, thoughts.

Mon Mar 12, 03:47:00 PM  
Blogger BK said...

I am not sure what an LA color palette would look like. Fire engine red comes to mind, but I tend to have In N' Out on the brain. Its proximity to the desert makes me think that the muted colors of Harris are appropriate or the effect of pollution haze or sun washout, but this was the 30s. I am not sure.

Mon Mar 12, 11:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home