Wednesday, January 24, 2007

green tea and almonds

All afternoon, I munched on raw almonds and drank cup after cup of green tea from my petite Bryn Mawr college class of 2000 mug. It's a rather dainty mug as cups go and the school crest and all of the lettering is sky blue. It's a perfect mug for the eccentric tea/coffee machine happily tucked away in our floor's tea pantry. My constant musical companion of the past two days has been Regina Spektor. Her songs "Field Below," "Samson," and "Hotel Suite" are gems I'm happy to brand into my mind during these slate cold January days.

Somehow, these minor things established a nice little rhythm that helped me get through the afternoon. I'm home now and I'm not exhausted. Usually I come home and need to decompress. Today it's different. I want to keep working, thinking about work. It's easy. It feels like a natural gesture. I'm going to cook a light supper and get back into my work. Light some candles, make some more tea. Try to get to sleep early. I'm no fan of winter (wan skin, short days, chapped hands, stuffy subways), but I do appreciate the fact that it forces me out of my social ways and into a homebody's existence.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay - not to stir up any new anger - but did you notice that Bush made NO MENTION of rebuilding in the NOLA/gulf coast area in his state of the union address???

Fri Jan 26, 11:28:00 AM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

Not surprising. If intelligent people don't even think there's still a lingering sore on the face of the US, then why should the president notice? If there's a state beyond bitter, that's where I live when it comes to way this nation (NATION - not just the president) has shamefully taken NOLA off the agenda. Pelosi, I expected more from you! Also, I love that Senator Webb threw out the canned Dem speech and wrote his own. Love it. And he did mention NOLA. Thanks, Webb!

Fri Jan 26, 02:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home