Wednesday, July 26, 2006

from here



There are times when being inbetween here and there is exactly where I want to be. I took this picture inbetween Paris and New York in June while enjoying two seats to myself. I've been commuting back and forth between spending time with Tim and being at home in Brooklyn, alone. Likewise, I feel like life has also been broken up into intense work, intense play, and the release of being either alone or with Tim. All of these things end up like overlapping circles that don't always allign themselves perfectly.

But there's something reassuring about that. The play of different states. You're always aware, you're always learning. It reminds me a lot of my semester in Paris. I wore myself out with language acquisition, culture overload, and a heavy dose of growing up. There's a part of me that sees that year as a definite turning point in my life. I'm wondering if I'm at another one right now. I'm sorry if I haven't been able to write everyone or communicate on the levels folks are used to with me. It's just been a thick year. A thick time in my life. I'm reconnecting with old friends, and affirming what is happening in New York --- both at work and personally.

But this photograph gives me pause and reminds me that I don't have to be everything to everyone. Sometimes that just isn't possible. Sometimes you're allowed to just drink a lot of iced coffee, wander around Brooklyn, read for hours, and sleep in. I have to remind myself about this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home