Saturday, December 10, 2005

lazy Saturday musings

I'm at work today (Saturday) because I'm trying to make next week slightly less stressful. I don't want to stay late at the office this week because Sudha is in town and Tuesday night I'm having dinner with Helene and seeing Tim later in the evening.

My head is all cloudy. I'm listening to bossa nova as RJ made me a delicious cd full of Astrid Gilberto. It makes me want to learn Portuguese and wear sundresses. It also makes me feel like I'm a sophomore at Bryn Mawr, living in a Merion slit (a long, skinny bedroom), and musing over my Yale law boyfriend who said this music made him think of bad, drunken dinner parties his parents would throw in the late 70s/early 80s.

That was a huge turn off for me. I actually never saw him again after he said that. I guess it unconsciously made me realize that I was more of a naive romantic than he was. Well, I was much younger and legitimately naive on several levels. But we wanted different things from romance. I wanted bossa nova, and he wanted the reality of Tom Waits and the less cloudy jazz of Miles Davis.

Who can't get lost in "The Shadow of Your Smile?" Still, looking back, it seems cringe-worthy to realize I was trying to woo a 24 yr old man with Astrid Gilberto music. What did I know? Well, at least our musical conflicts detached me before things become too entrenched. If only all mismatches could unfold so simply.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home