Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Now *this* is what I'm talking about



Coffee culture in New Orleans.

I had been going off coffee as of the spring and summer of this year. I said to myself that after iced coffee became a form of torture rather than pleasure (ie: summer turns to fall), I would try to cut it out altogether because hot coffee is just not as tasty as iced coffee, in my opinion.

But of course, Katrina came in and screwed up everything so I needed to stay on the coffee in order to stay sane.

Slimbolala was kind enough to give me an update on the coffee shop situation in NOLA. I was thrilled to hear about the closure of the horrific monstrocity that occupied the former location of rue de la course. I was also heartened by the picture I've posted above. It's of Cafe Luna on Magazine Street. Also, note that in the background, the Starbucks across the street is still closed. My dad seems to think that many businesses are still waiting for their insurance money and don't seem much point in reopening until the money comes in. Good luck waiting. In my wildest dreams, NOLA will become a town full of mom 'n pop establishments by locals for locals. They are the ones who want their lives back together so why crowd them out with Starbucks, etc?

That's my two cents for the day.

Also, did you write/call these representatives?

3 Comments:

Blogger lequincampe said...

My mom commented last night, "They can KEEP Cafe Luna. $3 for a cup of iced tea with a limp lemon? Please. I will stay home."

I want to be there when they reopen the Robert E. Lee PJ's. . . in 10 years.

Wed Nov 23, 11:44:00 AM  
Blogger Slimbolala said...

See ya there.

Oh, and one minor clarification: the horrific monstrosity is not technically closed, merely gasping for breath and making strange rattling sounds. Hopefully, it is only a matter of time.

Tue Nov 29, 01:34:00 PM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

Good to know!

Wed Nov 30, 09:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home