Thursday, October 20, 2005

when you get caught between the moon and New York City

I feel as alive and perky as that song. Today, I woke up before 7:30 and hopped out of bed. No dragging feet. I took my shower, got dressed and even put on a little makeup (what?). Nerb and I walked to 5th avenue for coffee (and a muffin for him). Enjoying the clear, brisk air, the walk was just so pleasant. Especially with a warm cup of coffee in hand. We laughed and chatted on the train and there was almost a spring in my step as I got off the train and walked to work listening to Patty Griffin on my ipod.

But upon turning off the ipod, all I could think of was that easy listening favorite, Christopher Cross and his song for the movie "Arthur" (full disclosure: I've never seen the movie, but could probably sing this song in my sleep). For the first time in ages, my body doesn't feel heavy and it wasn't a challenge to get out of bed. I could have skipped down the street today. In late August, I wondered if and when I would ever feel this way again. And I still have mean red moments, but I'm trying to keep it together.

Today I didn't have to try. I just wanted to sing out loud.

6 Comments:

Blogger R J Keefe said...

It is that kind of day here today!

Thu Oct 20, 10:04:00 AM  
Blogger Slimbolala said...

How lovely. We'll be in NYC tomorrow. Deeply craving it. Can't live there, but I love that town.

Fri Oct 21, 01:18:00 AM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

Have a wonderful time in NYC. Next time you're here (under less stressed circumstances), RJ and I would love to see you.

And hey, if you can handle NOLA, you can handle NYC. That was a remarkable lesson for me.

Sat Oct 22, 12:38:00 AM  
Blogger Jennifer P. said...

Speaking of handling NOLA, after 19 months away I'm finally sitting here on the Bestbank wearing a K&B t-shirt and preparing to go back to the Sunday Edition of the Times Picayune. Talk to you soon!

Sun Oct 23, 10:20:00 AM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

Jennifer! Email me soon with your number! I miss you so much. So happy to think of you in NOLA, doing and wearing NOLA things :)

Sun Oct 23, 01:33:00 PM  
Blogger Slimbolala said...

Yes. I would love to meet up with you guys. This last trip was a mini-whirlwind with no room to spare, but our paths will cross again.

As for the "can't live there" part, I should qualify. I have lived there, but I choose not to do so any more. I love it, but I love it best from a bit of a distance

Tue Oct 25, 05:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home