Wednesday, August 17, 2005

two good things

1) Angelica's Kitchen. I really enjoy coming here. I think it's a bit pricy as far as vegetarian food goes, but if that's what it takes to make it such a pleasant experience, I suppose I will go that road. I've only been here twice, but both were with lovely friends and you cannot help but have a warm experience. The atmosphere is cozy and welcoming, everything is good, the tea is delicious (and you get a refill... so you can hang out just a smidge longer with those friends of yours). I really need to go back more often. I want to try the peach pie next time. And I want to try a sandwich, eat some mashed potatoes, and most of all, try the cornbread with the tahini spread. MMM. I love me some almonds. And I love the good service. Clio and I sat there for an hour and a half tonight and no one rushed us along. I like it when people want you to stay.

2) Jamie Cullum. Okay, admittedly, I really didn't care for him when I first heard him over a year ago while living in Philadelphia. But maybe it was just Philadelphia. Jamie Cullum has the guts to cover Jeff Buckley's "Lover, You Should Have Come Over" (which is about one of my most favorite songs) as well as Radiohead's "High and Dry" alongside standards like "I Could Have Danced All Night" and "Singin' In The Rain." I wanted to blow him off like Josh Grobin, but listening to Jamie Cullum again on my ipod while on the subway and walking to work is such a pleasant experience. You cannot appreciate his arrangements when you really just want to hear the original... But while in transit, there is something so intricate and amazingly simplicistic to his take on these familiar songs. He's completely grown on me. NXP, you were right!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one should ever cover "Lover, You Should Have Come Over." It's sacred. I don't care how good they are!

Thu Aug 18, 09:58:00 AM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

You should hear it. It really grows on you. I know. I agree that song is akin to religion, but I promise it's good. Maybe I'm just nostalgic for living in that house in South Philly. I need to write about that song in a seperate post.

Thu Aug 18, 10:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a terrible cover. Makes me want to stab people. Oh how I hate it. :)

But, I like his other stuff. I think he should stick to his own material ... or maybe I just think that if you're not going to sing like liquid sex you shouldn't ever cover Lover, You Should've Come Over. I'm totally conflicted about buying his album - I want everything but Lover, ... and refuse to support that.

Yes, I have a strong opinion about this one.

Oh! And tahini isn't almonds - it's sesame paste. Although I like almond butter, I bet that would be good on cornbread.

Thu Aug 18, 10:33:00 PM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

I like it!!!!

Re: tahini. OH, I need an editor!!!! I am so not a foodie.

Thu Aug 18, 11:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) Or you're not Jewish/Middle Eastern ... mmmmm, tahini. Maybe I will try to talk Dan into getting falafel tonight!

Yeah, I know, I am over the top on the Jamie Cullum thingy. I am just that attached to the Jeff Buckley version of Lover!

Fri Aug 19, 10:38:00 AM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

Falafel = pure goodness

I am all about the strong emotions surrounding relationships to songs. I was very reluctant to give this one a shot and then for some reason it grew on me.

But if anyone tried to remake Rufus Wainwright's "I don't know what it is," I might have to come after them. :)

Fri Aug 19, 10:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home