Tuesday, August 16, 2005

par avion

While it's a hassle to tack on one more morning task to the routine of waking, showering, dressing, collecting all the various things you need for the day (oh wait that last one is probably just me...), making one's bed provides one of the world's best payoffs.

I never really made my bed until I moved to Paris and my host mother shamed me into doing so. I was sick of hearing about how Americans were slobs. And by Americans, she meant me. Yet, just as I was sick of hearing about how much more fabulous her Harvard and Princeton exchange students were, I also didn't feel like making Americans look bad in her eyes... And I wanted those Ivy's to one day hear about that great little Bryn Mawr intellectual (as they deemed me because I received - on average - 8 hand written letters a week in the mail and read like a crazy person).

I honestly think I sleep better when a bed is made. It adds to the ritual of sleeping by crawling into an envelope of sheets. As if you're placing yourself in a letter somehow. And to me, that's always a comforting place to be.

3 Comments:

Blogger Slimbolala said...

I abso-smurfly agree. That being said, it doesn't always happen.

Tue Aug 16, 12:19:00 PM  
Blogger lequincampe said...

I know... I just wanted to encourage that so as to improve everyone's sleep. It's been hard to sleep lately with the heat so I thought I might offer a smidge of encouragement.

Tue Aug 16, 12:22:00 PM  
Blogger R J Keefe said...

Making the bed every morning without fail is still the habit that marks, for me, the beginning of adulthood.

It's not really necessary, and nobody else may ever know. That's the point. You're doing good things just for yourself. That's grown up.

Tue Aug 16, 12:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home