Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Sharon Olds' letter to Laura Bush

A little non-hurricane Katrina related reading for you. Here is Sharon Olds' letter to Laura Bush, declining invitations to partake in the National Book Festival in Washington, D.C. as well as several meals with the former drunk teenage killer, oh wait, I mean to say the First Lady.

Frankly, I do not think I could stomach being in that woman's presence. I couldn't do the photo-op or shake her hand even if it meant something positive for me or my cause. After all, any association with this administration is tainted by one thing or another. Why debase yourself like that?

I mean, this is a woman who called Hurricane Katrina, "Hurricane Corinna" on more than one occasion.

You're the First Lady. Put down the meds and get it straight. The biggest natural disaster in the country's history and you can't even remember the name? Wow, you just made your husband look smart.

Oh, well, I guess I can't avoid Katrina after all. But do support Sharon Olds. If you don't know her, please consider buying a book or at least checking it out of the library and share a poem with a friend. I'd lend you my signed copy of The Living and the Dead, but it's covered in Toxic Ooze in New Orleans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home